Sunday 23 December 2012

Day 188 - “It’s a lifestyle – train like there’s no finish line.”

 Merry Fitness


It's Sunday December 23rd and I am up at 6am.   I am heading to the gym for my workout.     



Where does my  inner DRIVE come from? 

Whatever is fueling my drive I welcome it! 



I am trying to MENTALLY prepare for my Christmas dinner.  This may sound weird to some of you, but I have been eating CLEAN and working so hard at the gym, that I need to be prepared.   

I say that I want to eat Christmas dinner,  but come Christmas day, I may pass on everything and just  eat the turkey and broccoli.    Holy cow what the heck has happened to me!   :)   I like the change. 

I have a GOAL and to reach my goal I need to stay focused.  

I made a  commitment, to myself   I changed my lifestyle and I  set goals that are obtainable.   There are  only supportive people in my life.   I can do  anything I set my mind to. 

When you want it bad enough then you will get it.   - get er done!





INFO SHARING



Do Not Be Afraid of Gaining Muscle


1. The more muscle and bone mass you have, the greater the acid buffering power you create. That is, you now have more protein, potassium, magnesium and calcium to buffer the acidity in your body. The more alkaline you are:
-       the greater the endurance potential of the body
-       the greater your immune power is, the better your chances at surviving cancer or the swine flu.
 
2. According to Tufts University, the greater your muscle mass the greater the longevity potential. It is, in fact, the number one biomarker of longevity. It is a far better predictor of longevity than total cholesterol or blood pressure.
 
3. The more muscle you have, the more insulin receptor sites you have, and the more sensitive they will be. Increased muscle prevents diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Translation: the more muscle you have, the easier it is to have low body fat.
 
4. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest. It is estimated that for every pound of muscle you gain you burn an extra 50 calories a day.
 
5. The more muscle you have, the more strength you have. This, according to the same researchers at Tufts University, is the number two predictor of longevity. For women, strength is empowering.
 
6. In my thirty years of experience as a strength coach, for every kilo of lean tissue gained, there was an equal loss of weight in body fat. In other words, the body composition changed dramatically. For example, a female executive with a 60 kg bodyweight with 20 % body fat has 12 kg of fat. If, in 10 weeks, she gains 4 kg of muscle mass and loses 4 kg of fat, her body fat will now be 13%. With these body composition changes, not only will she feel more empowered, but her body will look fantastic!



 How to Get Motivated in the New Year
10 practical ways to help make your goals come true in 2013
One thing I miss about being a kid is the back-to-school preparation. When August rolled around, I was always excited about getting new clothes, pens, notebooks, a school bag, a lunch bag and even a pencil sharpener. When school began, my notes were so neat and colorful – and if they were even a little messy, I would rip out that page and rewrite them! 

Of course my euphoria didn’t last forever, but it was a good start. My motivation was at its peak. This is what you need to do with your training. Everyone gets in a training rut from time to time, but think about letting the promise of a New Year pull you out of it this time. 

Here are 10 tips to help you succeed:

1.    Set a goal
Notice I said a goal. It’s difficult to focus on too many different things at once, so just choose a few at a time. You want to be specific and realistic about your goals and focus on the process. 

For weight training, you could bump up your training from 3 to 4 sessions a week. To accelerate the post-holiday “defatting” process, you can commit yourself to 2 to 3 interval training sessions per week for 12 weeks. 

2.    Set small weekly goals that will build up and lead you to a larger goal 
Small successes are crucial to keeping you on track; reaching each weekly goal will encourage you to set and achieve more goals.

3.    Keep your head in the game 

Think about your goals daily. Write them on cue cards and place them on your fridge, your computer, your bathroom mirror.

4.    Find a role model who inspires you
 If you want to achieve something, find someone who has already done it and use that person’s accomplishments as inspiration.

5.    Get excited about starting your goal

The best way to get excited about achieving your goals is to plan out the process. Work out all the details on a calendar. Get excited about the start date and make sure you are prepared and ready to begin.

6.    Tell your friends and family about your goals
The more people who know, the more they can help keep you focused. When your motivation starts to fade, your friends will keep you accountable.

7.    Get a new weight training program

Try something different. If you normally do high reps, try a low-rep program. Switch it up! Do supersets instead of straight sets. Try drop sets and death circuits (yes, you read that right: death circuits). If you don’t have the knowledge to put together a good program, hire a trainer.

8.    Skip the aerobics class and join a modified strongman class

 Many places now offer these classes, even indoors for the cold winter months. You will build strength, agility and power while getting a great cardiovascular effect. If you aren’t sweating and panting after the first round of exercises, something is not right.

9.    Get a training partner 
Nothing is more motivating than having someone looking at you while you are training. Find someone who is at or near your strength level so you can motivate each other into lifting more weight and getting those last few reps.

10.    Choose a reward
Have fun with this one – just make sure your reward is not related to food. It could be a vacation, a massage, a new training outfit, new shoes or even getting a PICP trainer to design your programs. Choose something that you can really look forward to.

Now take a few days to find your goal and get to it. 2013, here we come!

SOURCE: http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Lifestyle/BodyMind

No comments:

Post a Comment